Entrepreneurship Story
Since my senior year of high school, I have worked at a small, local boutique/gift shop. The owner, has become a mentor to me as well as a second mom. She started her business (mainly monogramming), by personalizing gifts for sororities in different universities off of a website called Etsy. This business eventually grew into Preppy Beach Boutique, the store that I am currently employed at. She started out small, selling only small/last minute gifts and monogramming belongings. It later became quite lucrative, allowing her to expand her business and remodel her store. This remodel provided more room and accessibility to sell more clothes. The owner also has a talented sister, a baker who worked out of her house, creating custom cookie, cake, and cupcake orders for locals. In the past year, they decided to combine interests and create a boutique/bakery. Providing both sweet treats AND sweet gifts has drawn much more attention and customers. She has now won best boutique and gift shop three years in a row! Considering both sisters started their passion through businesses out of their homes, inspires me to follow my dream. She has showed countless times that hard work, time and effort, and motivation allow you to create a business through anything.
I enrolled in this course because 1. I am in Innovation Academy (so kinda a given) BUT 2. I value the idea of working for yourself and creating something out of a passion or hobby, something that can be a lifelong career. I think these skills are necessary to anyone who is in the working field, entrepreneur or not. The lessons I will learn throughout this course will help me get ahead when applying for jobs and understanding how the business world/mind works.
I added this picture from my last innovation class because I feel as if the knowledge I learned from then is still pretty relevant regarding this class.
It's great that you could learn so much from someone who started small and grow a business and see what that is like. I can't say that I have ever had that experience as I have always worked for large companies and have more perspective of the corporate lifestyle. I think this will definitely give you an advantage because you have seen what it takes to be successful.
ReplyDelete