Friday, June 7, 2019

9A - Testing the Hypothesis

Testing the Hypothesis

How often do you use/drive your boat?
  • Probably 3-4 times a month, only on the weekends.
Do you ever go out on your boat and forget something you wish you would have brought/ you could have used?
  • Yes , pretty often.
Would you use a service that delivers most items held at a convenience store, by boat , with the help of an app?
  • Probably not. Any time I go on the boat, I normally go so far off shore that the charge of the delivery wouldn’t be worth the little item I wanted.
-----------
How often do you use/drive your boat?
  • 2 times a week, if the weather is nice.
Do you ever go out on your boat and forget something you wish you would have brought/ you could have used?
  • All the time!
Would you use a service that delivers most items held at a convenience store, by boat , with the help of an app?
  • I usually don’t have service/battery/or sometimes bring my phone, I just rely on my radio, so it’d be hard to order without having the app.
------------
How often do you use/drive your boat?
  • Once or twice out of the month
Do you ever go out on your boat and forget something you wish you would have brought/ you could have used?
  • Yeah
Would you use a service that delivers most items held at a convenience store, by boat , with the help of an app?
  • I could see myself doing this. Would it sell meals? I am not sure if I would pay the fee for one single item, would it even be worth it to the driver?
------------
How often do you use/drive your boat?
  • Once a month
Do you ever go out on your boat and forget something you wish you would have brought/ you could have used?
  • Not particularly but I am sure I have before.
Would you use a service that delivers most items held at a convenience store, by boat , with the help of an app?
  • I usually don’t bring much on the boat , would probably only use this service for something medical incase I had a small emergency.
-------------
How often do you use/drive your boat?
  • About every weekend.
Do you ever go out on your boat and forget something you wish you would have brought/ you could have used?
  • I could name a few times, yeah.
Would you use a service that delivers most items held at a convenience store, by boat , with the help of an app?
  • I use my boat for mostly off-shore fishing, making this service kind of difficult.

After conducting these interviews, I found that this opportunity is not needed by people who go offshore, don’t have or use their smartphones, and people who find the delivery and fees worth more than any item they would particularly want.
Inside the Boundary
  • Who Is In? : People who use and bring their smartphones on the boat, when staying in a 3 mile radius from shore, and need/want more than one particular item
  • What The Need Is? : The need is for convenience items, food and drinks, or medical supplies being delivered by boat, 3 miles from shore.
  • Why The Need Exists? : People often forget certain items, wants certain things, or unprompted events occur causing them to need something they did not bring, when on the boat. Because of the time and effort it takes to retrieve any item from land, once already on the boat, the delivery service on water will be much more convenient and sufficient.
Outside the Boundary
-  Who Is Not? : People who do not use/have smartphones, are willing to pay the delivery fee, or spend most of their boat time offshore.
- What The Need Is Not? : The need is not for a restaurant on water? (I had trouble figuring this one out)
- Alternative Explanations? : I think another concern is the cost of the delivery and whether or not is it worth the item itself. With the app, it will be easy to scroll through all the offered items, leading people to probably purchase more than one item after seeing what all is available. The customer may also need/want the item so bad, they are getting regardless, making them purchase more items so that the fee IS worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I think that an app such as this could be very successful! There is a potential that even the people outside the boundary could be persuaded into using the service. It was tough coming up with what the need is not segment for mine as well, however I think that you identified it well. Do you think that this service could get away with charging a fair fee, such as post mates, or will it be a higher fee due to the high upkeep costs of a boat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt that your inner and outer boundaries were clearly, and accurately, defined, so nice job on that! I know for a fact that when I was working on mine, I had a bit of trouble figuring out who would be in and out of the boundary. But, I do agree with mostly all that was said in the findings from your interviews. I feel that the fees for items would have to be really high, so it would be worth it for the driver to come out and deliver the item(s). I think it might be a consideration to refine your idea a little bit, because I think it's an interesting concept. Maybe focus it on emergency items/medical needs, rather than that and food?

    ReplyDelete