Friday, July 26, 2019
26A Celebrating Failure
This assignment is perfectly timed considering I tried to surf for the first time today. I am on vacation with my boyfriend’s family, in Costa Rica. Him, his parents, his sister, and the other family we vacationed with, are all quite comfortable with a surfboard. I took my first lesson yesterday, spending most of the time laying flat on the board and having someone push me into the wave. I stood up a few times, giving me a little confidence when swimming out today. I went out early this morning and failed, epically. I was so embarrassed and uncomfortable that I didn’t even want to try again. I was nervous about looking stupid or doing something wrong. I realized that this mindset would only be a disadvantage and I looked more stupid for giving up. Although I failed once, I am never going to get better if I don’t practice. It is good to remember that everyone starts somewhere. I was making myself even more upset because I know being the person who doesn’t try is worse than the person who is failing. Taking a step back made me realize it isn’t that big of a deal and I will get more comfortable with the more time I spend with it. I am going back out tomorrow, so hopefully I can continue to try, despite my failing attempts. I am only considering this class now and everything it has taught me, making it even easier to try again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have always wanted to try surfing! I live on the beach but there aren’t too many waves sadly to attempt. I’m sure surfing is a lot harder than it looks and takes lots of practice to perfect it. You’re entirely correct that everyone starts somewhere and we all move at our own pace. I am sure with more practice you can nail it!
ReplyDeleteI think you have a great mindset about failure which will definitely help you get better at anything along with surfing! I have definitely had similar experiences and I can totally understand the frustration when everything seems to go wrong. However, surfing is a hard skill to get good at. I admire your drive to get good at it.
ReplyDelete